De Haven

In the early period of logging along the Mendocino Coast De Haven would have been considered a town. The mill was operated by Gordon S. Gill Co. The output of the mill was hauled to Westport for shipping from the wharves there.

According to Thad M. Van Bueren in his book, “Belonging to Places- The Evolution of Coastal Communities and Landscapes between Ten Mile River and Cottoneva Creek” the Dinkey was used from 1901 to 1905 in Dehaven Valley.

The photo is of the locomotive that ran on the De Haven railroad. It is a “Dinky” and is unusual because it had a gypsy winch at the front.

Mr Van Beuren states, “Very little is known about the Dehaven railroad system. A mill was built by Gill and Gordon near the mouth of the valley in 1889 and came into possession of the Pollard Lumber Company “afterwards” according to Aurelius Carpenter (the father of Grace Hudson the famous painter of the Pomo). Robert J. Lee suggests that a railroad was present in Dehaven Valley between 1901 and 1905 and it is shown on a 1905 map. Oliver Calkins was the engineer. The mill burned in 1906 and was never rebuilt.”